Sunday, June 5, 2016

My Creek, My Perspective and Me

For the last 3 weeks or so, we have been dry here in Eastern Tennessee. For the last 3 days it has finally rained. So what? Well, the grass loves it, and so do the shrubs. Also, the creek is running again.
The wet-weather creek that runs through our property is lovely when it flows. It fills three wide and deep spots to form connected ponds while it gurgles over the rock beds between the ponds. It is a general delight. However, when it stops raining for a while, the ponds begin to stagnate and mosses and algae begin to cry “Whoopie!” as they blossom. It becomes a mess in a real hurry.
During several of these recent rainstorms, I was able to wade into the ponds to begin cleaning out submerged, rotting leaves, branches and other collected debris. As I cleaned them, with sprinkles (and more) falling intermittently, I was able to help the creek along so it could clean itself as it began running again.
So it was this morning, as well. I was out in thigh deep water, scooping up bottom muck and tossing it on the banks. The rain came, went, and came again. I was soaked. When it began to downpour, I retreated to the crawl space beneath the house to rest and wait out the sudden deluge. I felt something between my big and second toe. I took off by rubber sandals and found a small, inch-long crayfish. I returned it to the creek. I’m not sure, but I think it waved “Bye” to me.
Several neighbors drove past, looked at me and shook their heads. It was as if they were saying, “Look at that idiot – in the rain – cleaning up. Why doesn’t he just wait a while?”
I waved. They smiled.
It made me think. “Am I a little nuts?”
“No!” I replied to myself. It’s all a matter of perspective. I didn’t feel absurd out there in the light drizzle. I felt like a little boy, splashing in the rain. I was having fun. I felt good about getting the muck and debris out of the creek bottom so the creek could clear itself naturally, quickly and well.
I was merely helping nature along… and having fun doing it. So I didn’t feel a little nuts. I felt good.
Perspective and acceptance: The perspective of a little boy; accepting natural processes; working with, rather than fighting against, Mother Nature.
Take from this what you will. Perspective. Acceptance. Feeling good and enjoying some serenity, peace, wet clothes, and a new little crayfish friend.
As I’ve stated before, “I have to understand, on a visceral level, who the “Me” or “I” really is when I am speaking or thinking. The “I” that says to myself, “I really need a newer, more reliable car” is a different “I” than the one that says to my Holy Spirit, “I can’t do this anymore; help me perceive things the way You see them.”
Although these messages are mostly for me, thanks for listening to me and getting to know me – warts and all. As always, feel free to forward this message to your friends, family, and those accompanying you on your spiritual journey.

Don
#1 Jun 2016
Copyright 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment