Saturday, August 22, 2015

Listening With My Heart

The other day I suddenly became aware of silence – and how loud silence really can be!
Both in the morning and evening I generally spend time on one of our decks just sitting and being still. In the morning it is partly to help me wake up. I have always, from boyhood, had a difficult time falling asleep and a hard time waking up. So, I have my coffee and pipe and sit outside to gently awaken and listen to the silence. In the early evening I love to, once again, sit outside and enjoy the coming dusk, the cooling off, the sounds of silence, and perhaps read a chapter or two of a novel. 
However, several days ago, as I was outside relishing the quiet, I really noticed how “loud” the natural quiet truly is. As I realized this I also became aware that I had been defining “quiet” as the absence of the sounds of humanity: Loud trucks, auto mufflers, hammering, chain saws, lawn mowers, or boisterous voices from neighboring cocktail parties. As I listened to the “quiet” of the forest, which is our backyard, it was raucous with crickets, tree frogs, birds of all varieties, squirrels and other anonymous critters rustling through the underbrush, deer, rabbits, or raccoons.
The quiet of nature is very loud.
It is the sound of life.
Somehow my mind is able to relax and interpret these sounds of life as “quiet.” I believe it is some form of primeval understanding that nature’s life and mine are one. It is bone deep. It is visceral. It is intuitive.
It is a different kind of understanding from the sounds of my life and the sounds of humanity.
As I relax and enjoy the “quiet” of the sounds of nature, I am really enjoying the unity I feel being a part of my environment – rather than as a user or conqueror of my environment. I also believe this was a dormant thought that had been triggered after watching a show on LinkTV, which I support. The show is called “Global Spirit” and is produced by CEM Productions. The promo describes the show: “GLOBAL SPIRIT is a unique inquiry into humankind’s belief systems, wisdom traditions, and states of consciousness. Presented by British actor and writer John Cleese and hosted by author and spiritual seeker Phil Cousineau, this unique, critically-acclaimed series features renowned experts such as Deepak Chopra, Karen Armstrong, Robert Thurman, Riane Eisler, and many others. Mixing evocative film segments with deep discussion, Global Spirit takes viewers on a mind and soul-expanding journey, exploring the relationships between ancient wisdom traditions, diverse belief systems, world religions, metaphysics and modern science.”
Cleese calls the show The First Internal Travel Series and warns you that taking this trip just might change your life. The most recent episode was entitled “The Shaman, The Spirit Healer and the Earth.” It aired last Sunday (8/16).  The guests were “Uncle” Angaangaq, an Eskimo-Kalaalit shaman, healer, and carrier of the Qilaut drum and Flordemayo, a curandera espirtu, or traditional healer, who was born in Nicaragua and has Mayan ancestors.
During this episode, “Uncle” Angaangaq referred to the longest most complicated journey a person can take is the trip between the head and the heart. A wonderful sentiment.
I believe I’m listening to the sounds of nature’s silence with my heart. I listen to the sounds of humanity with my head. Listening with my heart makes all the difference.
Although these messages are mostly for me, thanks for listening. As always – feel free to forward this message to your friends, family, and those accompanying you on your spiritual journey.
Don
#4 Aug 2015
Copyright 2015

PS: [If you are interested in checking this out, go to   http://www.cemproductions.org/globalspirit/   and click on “Programs.”]

No comments:

Post a Comment