Sunday, August 26, 2012

Part 2 - A Spiritual Walk-About in My Spiritual Outback

Continued from Part 1


To me there is a huge difference between seeing myself as a part of my environment and seeing me as a user of my environment. To understand I am an integral part of the environment has been an absolute key to my spiritual growth. It reinforces my understanding that I am not a body nor am I what I think. The Truth is I am an already-loved eternal spirit temporarily living here. It is critically important to me to understand my body and its needs has no more rights in this universe than a deer, rabbit, or hummingbird. When I really comprehend this, I am filled with gratitude and serenity. I am not focused on my bodily needs. I am not concerned with lack, or want, or potential disappointment, or fear.
This comprehension comes and goes. Sadly, it mostly goes. I need constant reminders and Mutant Message Down Under has been a major one.
For example: The author spoke (pp, 173-174) of how the tribe, soon after awakening in the predawn, would gather in a circle and affirm their gratitude for the universe providing for them. Day after day after day the universe did just that. Birds would appear. Edible grasses would be ripe for making a kind of flour. After encountering some crocodiles in a pool one day, “[w]e did not camp by the pool but continued our journey that day. The second time we encountered a crocodile it was much smaller and appeared in the manner I now recognized as providing us with life, by volunteering to be dinner. The Real People don’t eat much crocodile meat.…[Nevertheless, we] had baked crocodile eggs which tasted horrible. However, when you request the universe to provide dinner, you don’t second-guess what arrives. You just know in the big picture that all is in order, so you go with the flow, swallow large gulps, and decline second helpings.”
For the Real People everyday begins with gratitude for what the day will bring – for what will be provided. Every day begins with thanksgiving. It is of the utmost spiritual priority that I keep in focus that I am an already-lived eternal spirit having a human experience and my body and its needs is no more important than a grasshopper. Whenever I really stop and think about this, it fills me with gratitude and serenity.
Old time AA members define the difference between religion and spirituality like this: “Religion is for those who desperately do not want to go to Hell. Spirituality is for those, like us, who have been to Hell and don’t want to go back.” For me the loss of gratitude and serenity is Hell. I’ve been there. It’s not fun.
Thanks for listening, and – as always – feel free to forward this message to your friends, family, and those accompanying you on your spiritual journey in your Outback.
Don
#4 August, 2012
Copyright, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment