Sunday, July 15, 2012

Part 2 - Staying in the Is-Ness and Letting the Future Take Care of Itself


Continued from Part 1
How do we deal with “the future?” Can we deal with the future at all? Is to deal with the future a negation of the Truths that guide our spiritual life – a negation of the axiom “Live in the Now” for Now is always eternal?

A sense of ownership – I possess therefore I am. A sense of being responsible for what I have. A sense of having – and then needing to worry about keeping and maintaining. The unspoken premise? There isn’t really enough. Maybe all that’s what takes the edge off simply enjoying the Now – living in the “is-ness.” I am trying to de-clutter my mind and get back to where the Aborigines have always been. They are supposed to be ignorant, uneducated natives who just happen to be happy and at peace. Yet, I am supposed to be smart and sophisticated and competitive and forward-thinking. But I am stressed, worried, and can’t sleep many nights.
So, how do we deal with “the future?” Can we deal with the future at all? Is to deal with the future a negation of the Truths that guide our spiritual life – a negation of the axiom “Live in the Now” for Now is always eternal?
What I try to do is simply imagine the worst thing the future might bring, deal with it in my mind, and then go about my business. In short, I try to deal with it and be done with it. Sometimes this really works. Sometimes it really doesn’t.
I am also attempting to apply the principles of AA to my spiritual growth. Another AA adage states: “Just for today, don’t drink, go to a meeting, share openly and honestly, work the Steps, talk to your sponsor, pray, and the rest of your life is none of your business.” Within the structure of ACIM’s wisdom I can apply a similar approach: Just for today, read and practice the daily lesson in the Course Workbook, read a passage from the Course Text or the Manual for Teachers, remember that I am not what I think and I don’t have to believe everything I think, remember that I am responsible for not paying attention to the chatter in my mind, remember I am not upset for the reason I think, and remember the Holy Spirit will always give me another way of looking at people or  events, if I truly ask and then listen for His whispered answer.
With practice, a little discipline, and perseverance perhaps I can become a 21st Century Tennessee Aborigine – simple, focused, happy, joyous and free.
Thanks for listening, and – as always – feel free to forward this message to your friends, family and those accompanying you on your spiritual path.
Don
#3 July, 2012
PS: I will be on the road for the next several weeks, so there will be no messages for a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment