Saturday, September 19, 2015

I Give My Recent Spirituality A Grade Of D+

For the last several weeks I have gone crazy. That madness included not sending a message out to you. For those who inquired about the reason(s) you weren’t hearing from me – thank you for thinking of me and accept my apology for not alerting you.
We are putting our house on the market. We interviewed realtors to choose one for the Listing Agreement and were trying to get all sorts of odds and ends fixed up for the photo shoot and virtual tour that need to accompany the MLS listing. It was a crazy time. For example, one morning I was to do some pruning in the yard, some minor furniture repairs, and then …  my sciatic back went out. I was scheduled to go to a family reunion in Indiana, and I became focused on getting my back repaired by my chiropractor for the trip. The pruning and furniture repair stayed on my list of things to do. In this process I simply missed getting the intervening messages out.
Things are settling down a bit now, but I am exhausted. We went from room-to-room discussing what needed to be done. All the accumulated “chores” began mounting up and my notes on my yellow legal pad began to look like chickens had walked through red ink and had fought off a rooster while still on my note pad. I got short with my wife and she got short with me. Since the two of us, standing on the other’s shoulders just might reach the bottom threads of the net of a basketball hoop, we don’t have a lot of height from which to get short. It was tense at times to say the least.
I truly wish I could share with you that, as these tense times came and went, I completed my chores while simply observing my thoughts, smiling with the grace and serenity of the Dalai Lama, and silently chanting “OOOOOMM” to myself.
All I can share with you now is that the last two messages of August I sent – listening to my heart – were totally violated by me.
My reality? The last thing on my mind was to connect to the Oneness of nature by listening to my heart. I was too edgy, too goal oriented working from my “to-do” list, too nervous, and too worn-out. Until we get a satisfactory contract, my punctuality in getting these weekly missives published will probably suffer. I am apologizing in advance, should that happen.
There is a sentence (in fact, many of them!) in A Course in Miracles (ACIM) that states: “The memory of God comes to the quiet mind. It cannot come where there is conflict, for a mind at war against itself remembers not eternal gentleness.” [T-23-I-1:1-2] Certainly, the picture I have painted of myself over the last several weeks is not one of eternal gentleness.
If you also have difficulty at times trying to calm yourself and your thoughts to allow for some refreshing quiet time, all I can say, based on my less-than-stellar example, is “Welcome to my world – Sometimes.”
Although I personally would give myself a D+ in remembering how to become quiet and still, listening for the whispers of my Spirit Guide, I will urge you to try to relax and enjoy the most difficult journey you’ll ever take – the trip that will take you from head-thinking to heart-absorption. Simply practice being the observer of your thoughts and, in that stillness, listen for the whispers of your Holy Spirit.
Although these messages are mostly for me, thanks for listening. As always – feel free to forward this message to your friends, family, and those accompanying you on your spiritual journey.
Don
#1 Sep 2015
Copyright 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment