Saturday, May 31, 2014

Experiencing the Peace and Truth of the Realities of Spirit

I received some significant traffic about last week’s message [Msg-4-May-2014: Coping With My Ocean of Guilt and Shame] concerning the Hawaiian spiritual practice of Ho’oponopono. Most of the traffic was positive; some indicated confusion, as if Ho’oponopono was some form of “spiritual gimmickry.”
When I was writing my book, How the Bible became the Bible, Infinity Publishing (ISBN: 978-0-7414-2993-3), I struggled a lot trying to use words to describe what had happened to me spiritually as I got sober with the grateful help of Alcoholics Anonymous. I simply couldn’t do it. I couldn’t describe with the written word the reality and significance of my transformation. It was very frustrating. 
I decided, in the end, to concentrate that discussion in its own chapter, The Difficulty in Finding the Right Words (Chapter 9).  From a literary point of view this seemed to help with the flow of the book. However, my internal frustration and dissatisfaction remained. Words can be horrible buckets with which to convey very personal spiritual realities. That is further complicated by the fact that, even if I were to communicate my unfolding spirituality in a way that allowed readers to fully grasp what I was saying about me, it would have nothing to do with those same readers experiencing their own spiritual realities. Whether or not the words of mine (or the Apostle Paul, or the writers of the Gospel of Mark, or John of Patmos, or Wayne Dyer, or Eckert Tolle, or Deepak Chopra, or Marianne Williamson, or anyone else) resonate with you – simply believing this happened to me or other writers does not mean it will happen to you.
The realities of Spirit are experienced, not arrived at intellectually. The Truth of Spirit is known on a visceral level, not as a logical conclusion to a series of philosophical arguments. The Truth of Spirit brings a Peace I simply know from my insides. And I have learned to recognize when it is missing.
There are significant similarities between Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), A Course in Miracles (ACIM) and Ho’oponopono. To acknowledge that one of these “speaks” to me more readily than the others does not elevate that one above the others. It simply means, at this particular time, that particular approach and language resonates better with me. The same is true with you.
Simply rejoice!
In AA, whenever I had gotten too involved in my own life, I have experienced a change in perception – which changed my world – by following the suggested path of getting involved in the life of another alcoholic. By honestly sharing my experience, strength and hope with another I forgot about my own pity-pot – my own self-absorbed perceptions. Those actions allowed the Truth of Spirit to unfold. As it’s often stated in AA: Change the way your look at things and the things you look at change. In ACIM I have experienced the process of forgiveness as described in the Course and felt the frustration, anxiety, and fear of my error-filled perceptions melt away as the Holy Spirit whispered to me different ways to look at situations, people, and events. In Ho’oponopono I have used the suggested process of repeating its mantra: “I’m sorry. I love you. Please forgive me. Thank you.”  This mantra evokes the 3-step process of repentance, forgiveness, and transmutation. I have found my inside-me turmoil begin to dissipate.
All these processes are similar and very effective tools to encourage my willingness to ask for help and to encourage my openness to see things differently. And not only do I get better but my universe responds and heals. It’s always a miracle when this happens!
If you are talking about how the principles of AA and its suggested Twelve Steps of recovery allowed the Spirit of your Higher Power to transform you and someone else describes a similar transformation following the principles of ACIM – simply rejoice! If someone describes something similar following the cleansing steps of Ho’oponopono, simply rejoice! If people describe how a Paul-type road-to-Damascus revelation or a Buddhist “external observer” revelation was transformational for them, simply rejoice!
The experience of a spiritual transformation is the Truth that brings Peace. The reality of freedom that Truth and Peace bring is beyond words. I just know it viscerally, and although I still try, it is frustrating to communicate. [As I write this, I am working on uncovering the thoughts that compel me to feel that I have to still try to put it in words. I am asking myself, “Why?”
When I begin to believe my transformation is “better” than your transformation, I know my ego has “kidnapped” me once again. I then use the Steps of AA, ACIM’s process of forgiveness, or the cleansing of Ho’oponopono to correct that error. That correction will open the door to allow my Holy Spirit to begin nudging me back to the experience of Truth and Peace that I have tasted before in my spirituality.
Although these messages are mostly for me, thanks for listening. As always – feel free to forward this message to your friends, family, and those accompanying you on your spiritual journey.
Don
#1 Jun, 2014
Copyright, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment