Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Reality Of My Dream Is The Reality Of My Life

The other night I had a dream (or two – I can’t remember) and when I awoke, even though I couldn’t remember the particulars, I felt very disturbed. I was cranky most of the morning and felt very negative about – well, almost everything.
In my dream someone had been arguing with me (or me with them) and it was very upsetting to my equilibrium. I had been trying to make a few critical points from a specific perspective and these other people just couldn’t (or wouldn’t?) “get” it.
For example, let’s pretend we were talking about houses. [Please remember I cannot recall the specifics of the dream].
It was as if I said that, in general, all houses are very similar. All houses have floors, walls, ceilings, roofs, doors and windows. They provide protection from the weather. They provide a sense of safety and security. They provide a sense of “being home.” The other people in the dream vehemently disagreed. They stated – over and over – that there are brick houses, vinyl-sided houses, stone houses, underground houses, beautiful, large manor houses, and small, tin-roofed tar-paper shacks.
I couldn’t get them to budge from their perspective about how the house was built or how it looked and, instead, to consider the function of the house. In the dream I was ready to have a conniption fit.
How you view a house depends on your perspective or perception. If you’re a detailed personality, perhaps you’ll think about all the differences in the style of houses and agree with the view that there are brick ones, vinyl-sided ones, etc. If you think in a functional manner, perhaps you’ll agree with the over-arching description of what defines a house and agree that they all are the same – functionally.
I woke up with that feeling and that generalized exasperation lasted all morning.
In this example of my dream, I was very frustrated that the people I was with had only one way of looking at the issue at hand. They seemed to have blinders on. Their response to me sounded much like politicians we’ve all heard. They seem to have only one thing they are prepared to say. Regardless of what is asked of them by a reporter, they will give their scripted response.
Reporter: “So, here’s the newly elected Congressman from [State]. Congressman, what is one of the most important issues for you in the upcoming session?”
Congressman: “The most important issue for me is the [fill in the blank].”
Reporter: “You seem a little fidgety. Let’s relax. What did you have for breakfast this morning?”
Congressman: “I cannot remember. I was so focused on [fill in the blank] that I’m not sure I even had breakfast.”
Reporter: Well, I saw you in the hotel’s dining room. You were with Senator Blowhard. Okay?”
Congressman: “I can’t remember. I was so focused on [fill in the blank]. I can’t recall.”
Reported: “What if I catch up with you at the break?”
Congressman: “Okay, but I’ll be so focused on [fill in the blank] that I hope I’ll remember to talk with you.”
Frustrating. Exasperating. That’s how I felt almost all morning.
The fact that I was so exasperated in my dream that it carried over into most of my awakened morning, tells me I was hell-bent on being right or correct. That was my mistake. It was an error. It was not a “sin” that I wanted to be right or correct in my dream. It was just a dream.
And that is exactly what the Course teaches. The world we create with our perceptions is only as real as a dream. What we call “sin” in our created world is really just an error of perception. If we are willing, the Holy Spirit will help us change our perception. When that happens, our “world” will change. What we’ll begin to perceive is the “real” world that Christ-Eyes behold. We’ll see the Christ in all others, albeit through the fear, guilt, anger, resentment, and defensiveness that covers up the light of the Christ in each of us.
That’s the promise of the Course in Miracles. That’s what’s happened to me in AA. Although I could not imagine life without alcohol, I experienced that sober life. I experienced a life of acceptance. I experienced a life of living “just for today.” After 183 “just for today” days I had 6 months of sobriety. After 365 “just for today” days I had a year. After 9,490 “just for today” days I had 26 years. Looking back on my path to sobriety, can I pinpoint the day my perception changed? Nope. Does that denigrate my change in perception? Nope. Does my use of non-biblical words do dishonor to my experience of the Holy Spirit in my life? Nope.
It’s simply my miracle. In fact I am a miracle.
Although these messages are mostly for me, thanks for listening. As always – feel free to forward this message to your friends, family, and those accompanying you on your spiritual journey.
Don
#2 February, 2014

Copyright, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment