Saturday, March 29, 2014

It’s Always An Inside Job

This has not been a good week, so this will be a short message.
Coming home from the chiropractor this afternoon, this little ditty played in my mind:
Sciatica’s acting up.
Vet had to see the pup.
Computer’s on the fritz.
Spirituality’s hit a glitch.
Ah, well – what the hell –
 Problem’s have been kept at bay, but
There’ll be no enlightened message today.
There is a passage in AA’s Big Book that states that the quality of one’s serenity is directly proportional to one’s spiritual state. If my spiritual state is strong, my serenity is stable. If the quality of my serenity is in the toilet, so is my spiritual state.
The “quality” of my world is dependent on how I look at it. So, it’s always an inside job. If my anger, frustration, competing needs, and resentment all conspire to upset my serenity, I need to focus only on me and my spirituality. No longer can I bitch, whine, groan and moan: “Why is the world ganging up on me? What have I done to deserve this?”
Sometimes, like this week, I just hate the reality of that Big Book truism. I might as well, while I’m at it, hate the force of gravity. But that’s not going to do me much good, either.
It’s always an inside job.
Although these messages are mostly for me, thanks for listening. As always – feel free to forward this message to your friends, family, and those accompanying you on your spiritual journey.
Don
#5 March, 2014
Copyright, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment